Thursday, October 01, 2009

Author ASCII.

I think I'll make the most of this next fortnight to reflect on my life so far.
At best it'll give me stronger footing, being reassured of who I am and how I became that person, when Hellen arrives.
Believe me, she's testing!
At worst Columbo, Ironside and Ace Ventura will have a few extra leads to follow.

This happened immediately prior to the last time that Hellen visited, almost as if invoking her spirit.

Anyhow, getting back to the point, my first paying job was in computing...

#

...at a time when ASCII was a required language, if you wanted to communicate with these primitive machines.
It still is, but all of that's taken care of for you, by hard-wired software, these days. Which makes a bit of a nonsense of that silly poster up there, eh boys!

It was also the time that I discovered the internet.
Morse code was about to make way for Moore's code and, er, more code (but less visible).

A victim of my own success, I aided the development of algorithms that would negate my own employment.

Something that I've managed to do, with alarming regularity, ever since!

I guess variety is the spice of life, huh!
Either that, or I'm a lazy moo that likes to take a month or so off, every year, looking for another job.

Y'know, I might look into one of those countdown thingies, for my sidebar, ticking away the seconds until Hellen touches down.
Of course, I'll add another hour on, to compensate for the airport time difference.


Disclaimer: When I say that I discovered the internet, I mean that I discovered a computing network, already existing, that had been created, previously, by other people who were not me.
Though, I may have had a hand in starting the chat-room phenomenon known as lofting (keyboard to keyboard sex), which died out very quickly after the introduction of the webcam!
One rumour boldly states that the internet, as we know it today, originated in front of Arlington House, on a cold, damp afternoon, as an idea for moving photography (and everything else) indoors.

Gosh, that last site was a little slow and untidy, wasn't it?
Must be under-construction.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Most CNMs receive their certification through the American College of Nurse Midwives. The next level up from a CNA is a licensed practical nurse, or a LPN. However, it is also possible to attend a two-year community college and receive an Associates Degree in Nursing. Like other instructors, instructors teaching nursing courses grade nursing papers according to the quality of the work and also the content of the paper. They offer specialization in the different fields of nursing such as critical health, environmental health, maternal, health information, hospice and many more.